DILL PICKLE PASTA SALAD
1 (16 oz) pkg large shell pasta
½ cup plus 4 Tbsp dill pickle juice, divided
⅔ cup mayonnaise
⅓ cup sour cream
dash of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup sliced small dill pickles (more if you like)
2 Tbsp grated onion
2 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
⅔ cup diced cheddar cheese
1. Boil pasta according to pkg directions. Rinse with cold water and drain.
2. In a bowl, toss pasta with ½ cup dill pickle juice and set aside for 5 minutes while you make the dressing.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 Tbsp of dill pick juice with the mayonnaise, sour cream, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
4. Drain off any excess pickle juice with the pasta and toss with the dressing. Mix in all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cheese and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. When ready to serve, mix in the cheese. Serves 10.
5. SPECIAL NOTE: If using home fermented dill pickles, the pickle juice will be saltier than commercial brands (or even home canned, which are made with vinegar). In this case, omit salt when boiling pasta and start with only half the amount of juice and taste as you go.