PEACH JAM BARS
¾ c. butter, room temp.
1 c. sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ c. chopped walnuts
1 ½ cups peach jam (other jam can be substituted)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter and sugar, then add egg, salt and vanilla. Mix again.
3. Mix in 1 cup flour, then baking powder. Add the 2nd cup flour and nuts and mix well.
4. Press two-thirds of the dough in a greased, 9×13 pan. Take your time, patting it out, wetting your fingers if it gets sticky.
5. Spread peach jam over the dough.
6. Take the remaining dough, and again with your fingers, pinch off teaspoon-sized pieces and drop onto the peach layer, being careful to deposit evenly. There will be gaps, that’s okay, this is like a crumble topping.
7. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
8. Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden.
9. Remove from oven and cool on rack. Makes 36 bars.
10. Serve warm as a dessert, or cool as bars.