SODA CRACKER CANDY (reminds me of Heath bars)
• 35 saltines (1 sleeve)
• 1 cup butter, cubed
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 cup chopped toasted pecans (toasting the nuts is optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll/cookie sheet baking pan with foil; grease foil. Arrange saltines in a single layer on foil breaking a few to fit if needed.
2. In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a full boil; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over crackers.
3. Bake 5-7 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Cover with foil and allow chips to soften for 5 minutes, then spread evenly over top. Sprinkle with pecans.
4. Refrigerate, uncovered, 1 hour or until set (or put in freezer 20-minutes). Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Editor’s Note: To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.