PUMPKIN ROLL PERFECTION
3 eggs, separate egg yolks and egg whites
1 cup sugar, divided in half
⅔ cup pumpkin
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ teaspoon salt
12 oz. softened cream cheese, (Neuchatel is a good choice, and lower in fat and calories)
1 -1/2 Tablespoon butter, softened
2-1/4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line a 15×10 inch baking pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour the pan and the top of the paper.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until think. Gradually add ½ cup sugar and the pumpkin. Beat mixture until the sugar is almost dissolved.
4. In a smaller bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture.
5. In a smaller bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into pan.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F for 13 to 15 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. Cool 5 minutes and turn cake onto a kitchen towel sprinkled with powder sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in in the towel starting with the shorter side. Cool completely before adding the filling.
1. In a small bowl beat cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake and spread filling.
2. Roll up again and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
3. Can be made ahead, frozen and kept until ready to use: Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.