HOT OR COLD SICILLIAN PASTA
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup mushrooms, crimini or portabello, chopped
1/2 cup fresh zucchini, diced
1/2 cup canned, roasted red bell peppers, chopped (they come in a jar)
3 Tablespoons Greek olives (kalamata), chopped
1/3 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons sunflower nuts
salt and pepper to taste
1. Scrub, prepare, chop or have ready, all ingredients. Cook 8 ounces of bow tie pasta (farfalle) while preparing sauce.
2. Saute garlic in the oil and remove it. Saute mushrooms and zucchini in remaining oil and remove from heat.
3. Return garlic to mixture and stir in red peppers, Greek olives and parsley.
4. Spoon dressing mixture into a large bowl and cool to room temperature. Add feta and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir piping hot pasta into dressing. Top individual servings with sunflower nuts (or pine nuts for a more traditional touch).
Variation: Chill the dish (having added the feta and Parmesan cheeses) and serve as a cold salad. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and stir right before serving.